Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Review: Beyond the Edge - Part 2

 Beyond the Edge

by Nurit Weiss Davicioni

This is Part 2 of my book review of Beyond the Edge by Nurit Weiss Davicioni. To read part 1, visit this link.

This book is divided into four parts.

Part 1 is "The Journey Begins" which is mostly introductory stuff, a lot of which I covered in part 1 of my review.

Part 2 is "Astral Gateways" which is mostly techniques and tips, but also contains some interesting observations.

This quote matches my observations, and it's something almost no other books in the genre talk about:

"When people speak about astral planes, they often describe them as fixed layers or clearly defined realms. In my experience, this doesn't reflect the reality of how these spaces are encountered. The astral is not a static map--it is a living, responsive landscape...The environments I've moved through do not exist as neatly separated worlds. They blend, overlap, and transform, sometimes gradually and sometimes instantly." (pg. 155) 

What are Davicioni's experiences like? Like most people, they vary. For example:

"...In these moments, the sense of 'me' fades into the background, replaced by a quiet awareness witnessing something immense.

One such experience remains vivid: I found myself aboard what felt like a spacecraft, moving effortlessly through a vast realm of crystalline islands suspended in endless space...

Encounters like this leave me with a deep sense of humility. They suggest that consciousness extends far beyond personal exploration, and that there are realities layered with complexity and scale that the human mind can scarcely comprehend." (pg. 158)

Many astral projectors and authors become egotistical or arrogant. Some even try to convince you they have vast secret knowledge. I wrote about ego problems in this blog article. Davicioni  doesn't have that problem. She writes:

"I don't claim to understand these spaces or define what they are. I only know that they felt undeniably real and profoundly other." (pg. 158)

On the next page, she writes:

"My knowledge is limited to what I've personally encountered, and there are undoubtedly dimensions beyond anything I can imagine. Beyond the physical, there is no fixed world--only a vast, multi-dimensional unfolding of awareness that flows around and through the self, reaching into realms beyond our understanding." (pg. 159)

The book offers some unique techniques, such as the Seahorse Meditation (pg. 165), Elemental Meditation (pg. 167), Box Breathing (pg. 169), Tuning Consciousness through frequencies and voice (pg. 172), and others.

Part 3 is "My Path Beyond the Veil," which contains mostly narratives, Davicioni's personal experiences. I thought it was interesting that the author waited until nearly halfway through the book to share her experiences, other than a few simple examples near the beginning, like the ones shown above.

A lot of authors in the genre don't admit to dry spells or fallibility (probably the ego thing again). Davicioni doesn't have that problem either. She writes:

"This was one of my first experiences after years of not having any. I had just started my spiritual journey again, after being preoccupied with life for so long." (pg. 185)

Many of her narratives are interesting. For example, she mentions looking at a mirror while out-of-body and seeing her own face, but distorted, but then later, she looks again and it looks normal.

"This time, I see myself clearly, and I smile..." (pg. 195)

In most of her narratives, Davicioni tries to find a valuable or insightful take-away from her experience. For example:

"In the end, this experience brings me back to the message of balance--between control and surrender--and the reminder that, even in the surreal or dreamlike, we can find profound truth about who we are and the world around us." (pg. 197)

Part 4 is "Going Deeper: Supportive Theories and Advanced Techniques" 

As I said in part 1, I got the impression most of the author's narratives were from lucid dreams. She also shares a few non-lucid dreams that were spiritual or instructive. I'm totally okay with that. In fact, in my second book, Lessons Out of the Body, I shared a few of my own spiritual lessons I received as ordinary dreams. The author is totally upfront about this:

"The encounter felt like more than just a simple dream; it carried deep layers of meaning..." (pg. 231) 

"The encounter with Abraham might not have been a traditional astral projection or lucid dream. It was as if I had accessed a different layer of consciousness altogether." (pg. 233)

They sure reminded me of some of my own experiences in which I wasn't totally lucid. I sometimes refer to these as "Almost There Experiences." It's somewhat dream-like, but you know it's not. They seem "more real than a dream," even with partial lucidity.

It's interesting to note that, from her writing, Davicioni does not strike me as a religious person. Yet many of her experiences seem deeply rooted in religion or spirituality. She gives hints that her family has Jewish roots, but she acts skeptical and distrusting of her encounters with celestial beings like "Abraham." That tells me she's well-grounded, and that's very much the attitude I take toward unknown beings in my experiences.

Davicioni has a section on how to use astral experiences and lucid dreams for growth and healing. For example:

"Through astral projection, you travel to a parallel reality where you already made that career change. In this experience, you observe how the decision plays out." (pg. 262)

Unfortunately, she doesn't say exactly how to get to that parallel reality. 

In chapter 20, she spends a long time talking about how to use astral projection and lucid dreaming for healing.

Although she doesn't call it her "inner voice," the kind I wrote about, chapter 21 focuses mainly on developing intuition, and she treats the subject fairly well. For example, here's some great advice similar to advice from my book, Answers Within:

 "Distinguishing Between Ego and Intuition - The ego often speaks loudly, filled with fears, doubts, or personal desires. True intuition is subtle, calm, and clear--it doesn't demand attention, it simply is." (pg. 311)

Chapter 23 is titled "Awakening Our True Nature: The Evolution of Consciousness." This actually echoes my own beliefs about the nature of reality and the purpose of life.

I didn't agree with everything in the book. For example:

"If we are only using a small percentage of our brains--perhaps 3-5%--then the possibilities for our experiences are truly endless, and we are constantly evolving." (pg. 336)

I do believe we're constantly evolving, and I do believe the possibilities are endless. However, science has disproven the myth that we use only a small percentage of our brains. In fact, we use pretty much all of our brains. Well, unless you're a politician.

The author's attitude toward "fate" and "destiny" are basically the same as mine: 

 "We were not destined to blindly walk toward doom and gloom. We have the power to change our direction, to grow, and to awaken." (pg. 337)

I wrote about this topic in a blog article titled Deja Vu, Synchronicity, Fate, Destiny and the Law of Attraction and my beliefs are based on my personal experiences.

Chapter 24 delves into topics rarely spoken of by other authors in the genre. For example, she writes about "Astral Projection While Awake."

"With these tools in place, a new possibility opens--the ability to project while fully awake." (pg. 355) 

She even gives some techniques to accomplish it. Very few people have claimed to be able to astral project while fully awake. Keith Harary, Ingo Swann and Tom Campbell come to mind. Still, I think there's a fine line between this and "Remote viewing." I've always said "astral projection" is the same as "out of body experience/OBE," and I've always defined OBEs as experiences in which 100% of your awareness seems to be away from the body; the body is just another inanimate object in the room. In other words, you're completely immersed. So is it possible to project while awake? Well, Harary and Swann certainly displayed some amazing feats, but to me, it always seemed like an oxymoron.

The book contains several "advanced" techniques, and while they're treated quite fairly, seemed more like beginner techniques, such as the Target technique, Breath and energy work, and Using the hypnagogic state while awake.

It also contains techniques for lucid dreaming, primarily MILD (Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams) which, in her eyes, means using a combination of:

  • Wake Back To Bed (WBTB)
  • Dream recall and journaling
  • Setting intentions
  • Visualizing yourself in a dream 

She also covers sleep paralysis, false awakenings, and such, but does not get deep into more scary topics like "hagging" and the "Guardian of the Threshold." She does, however, talk about fears and how to work past them.

Davicioni doesn't say much about the so-called "Akashic Records" but she does say:

"The Akashic Records are not somewhere else--they are a layer of awareness we can touch when we are truly present, open, and willing to listen." (pg. 379)

She doesn't give any personal experiences to back up this claim, and although it makes sense and seems reasonable, I hate unsubstantiated claims like this. Several authors--usually of esoteric or occult backgrounds, such as the Theosophists--claim the Akashic records is a specific place. Best example is Kensho's book The Astral Explorer, which contains an artist's illustration of the place. I've never seen or visited the Akashic records, so I have no experiential knowledge of it.

The book is 413 pages long, with decent font and decent margins, which means there's a lot of content. You definitely don't feel rushed or short-changed. The book covers a lot. The book has a lot of "headings" meaning that every chapter is broken up into small sections, and each section has its own heading, which seems a bit unnecessary.

I give Beyond the Edge four stars out of five. It's not the best book out there, nor the most innovative, but it's solid and worth the money.

Bob Peterson
29 September 2026

----------------------------

If you want me to review a book about out-of-body experiences or astral projection, send me an email: bob@robertpeterson.org, but please check the index first to see if I've already reviewed it. Also, I've got a huge pile of books I'm planning to review, so don't expect a quick turnaround.

If you like my work, visit my website, robertpeterson.org, where you'll find lots of other free OBE advice and links.

Return to the index of my OBE Book reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment